Feed aggregator

Notting Hill Carnival 'must be made safer', policing report says

BBC UK Ed. - 12 hours 10 min ago
Last year's Notting Hill Carnival saw four stabbings so serious the victims nearly died, a report says.
Categories: MediaTorrent

NI election: PM and Taoiseach urge politicians to be 'respectful'

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 01:19
Prime Minister and Taoiseach have urged politicians here to be "respectful" during the election campaign
Categories: MediaTorrent

Sale Sharks: Players reported over 'team leaks' before Bristol match

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 01:16
Sale complain to the RFU that one of their players passed team information to Bristol before their Premiership match on 1 January.
Categories: MediaTorrent

Icy Berth

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 01:07

tubaman21 posted a photo:

The ice was thick and it took two tugs from Heritage Marine to break it up enough for the Philip R. Clarke to make it in for layup. Here the Helen H. works on clearing a path.

Categories: Minnesnota

Heading Home

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 01:07

tubaman21 posted a photo:

It is just before 6AM Sunday morning and the crew is within site of their final resting place for the season. The Philip R. Clarke glides under the Aerial Lift Bride en route to winter layup at the Duluth Superior Port Terminal.

Categories: Minnesnota

Newspaper headlines: May's Brexit speech previewed in press

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 01:06
Theresa May's speech on Brexit, in which she is expected to say the UK will make a "clean break" from the EU, is anticipated on the front pages of the newspapers.
Categories: MediaTorrent

Credible: Author of Trump’s dirty dossier ‘had UK agencies’ for clients

Informed Comment - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:58

By Georgi Gotev, James Crisp | Euractiv.com | – –

EXCLUSIVE/ Christopher Steele, the former MI6 spy and author of the dirty dossier on President-elect Donald Trump, claimed to have carried out investigations for UK financial regulatory authorities in emails seen by EurActiv.com.

The “dirty dossier”, written by Steele, a former Russia operations officer for the UK’s MI6 intelligence agency, is at the root of a fight between Trump and US spy agencies, with the potential to lead to the president-elect’s impeachment and to draw Britain into an international row.

Steele now leads Orbis BI, a private corporate intelligence firm. It has been revealed that seven months ago, Glenn Simpson, of Fusion GPS, commissioned Orbis to investigate Trump as part of an effort financed by an unnamed rich Republican donor who strongly opposed the billionaire candidate. Later, having realised the importance of the research, Steele reportedly continued his investigation without being paid.

The 35-page dossier contains a series of unproven allegations against Trump and the assumption that Russian intelligence services could use video recordings and other material as potential blackmail material against the next US President.

The claims were summarised in a two-page synopsis prepared for Trump and Barack Obama ahead of a national security briefing last week.

Trump has dismissed the “dirty dossier” as “fake news”, “phoney stuff” and “crap”. Without mentioning Steele’s name, he said the author of the dossier was a “failed spy afraid of being sued”.

It now turns out that the phony allegations against me were put together by my political opponents and a failed spy afraid of being sued….

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 13, 2017

Taking distance

While Trump tried to discredit the “dirty dossier” author, UK Prime Minister Theresa May tried to distance herself from him. She spoke for the first time about the controversy on 13 January at a press conference following talks with her New Zealand counterpart.

The PM was asked whether the UK Government had any involvement in the creation of the dossier.

“It’s a long-standing position that we don’t comment on such matters, but I think from everything that you will have seen it is absolutely clear that the individual who produced this dossier has not worked for the UK government for years,” May replied.

Steele however was hired by the Football Association in England in 2009 to investigate corruption within FIFA as part of England’s flopped 2018 bid, according to The Times. In December 2010, amid rampant rumours of corruption, the 2018 and 2022 World Cups were awarded to Russia and Qatar respectively.

The investigation of wrongdoing regarding the awarding of the FIFA tournament is hardly a small issue to be entrusted to a “failed spy”.

In 2010, Steele helped deliver information about FIFA to the FBI that eventually led to indictments of many current and former officials of soccer’s governing body, as well as the ousting of longtime FIFA President Sepp Blatter.

Moreover, Steel wrote, in emails seen by EurActiv, that he had recently rendered services for UK financial regulatory authorities.

An introductory email addressed to a Bulgarian counterpart dated 19 April 2016 reads:

“[…] Me and my business partners had a long track record of working in British foreign intelligence before setting up Orbis BI. Of late we have been doing investigative work on Bulgaria for clients, including the UK financial regulatory authorities.”

EurActiv.com contacted the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA).

The PRA said it used companies on a pre-prepared tender list. Orbis BI was not on that list. The FCA said that information on individual contracts could only be obtained by a Freedom of Information request, a legal process to request information not usually public.

Steele also said he was hired by the US government to investigate the then Bulgarian Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva and her links to Multigroup, a post-Communist business empire led by Iliya Pavlov, who was assassinated in Sofia in 2003.

The claim that the US government had been Steele’s client could not be verified.

Trump says intelligence insiders consider the dossier as “complete fraud”.

INTELLIGENCE INSIDERS NOW CLAIM THE TRUMP DOSSIER IS "A COMPLETE FRAUD!" @OANN

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 14, 2017

On 12 January, US Director of National Intelligence James Clapper released a rare statement, saying that he met with Trump to express his “profound dismay” over the dossier.

“This document is not a US intelligence community (IC) product and… I do not believe the leaks came from within the IC,” Clapper said.

Clapper said he told Trump that intelligence agencies made no judgment about the reliability of the allegations.

US Representative Adam Schiff, the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, expressed scepticism at Trump’s claim that Clapper denounced the report.

Intelligence professionals who personally know Steele described him as a very competent professional operator.

Steele hasn’t commented the dossier. He doesn’t answer his cellphone and has disappeared from public view.

Via Euractiv.com

—–

Related video added by Juan Cole:

CBS Evening News: “Ex-spy hired to dig up dirt on Trump goes into hiding”

Categories: IraqWire, Leftward Blogs

Coded: new documentary series on hackers

BoingBoing - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC2aOG1xDg4&feature=youtu.be

Seth Godin sends us this trailer for Coded, a new documentary series on hackers: "There’s an invisible war being waged. And we’re all part of it. Foreign governments are hacking major corporations. Major corporations are collecting massive amounts of consumer data. And the NSA is listening…to everything. But a new generation of programmers armed with powerful technology is rising up and fighting back. Freethink presents a new original series: Coded."

Categories: Crunknet

Squirrels are vastly more harmful to the world's power grids than "the cyber" is

BoingBoing - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:28

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZPv-wro-O8

Of 1700+ known acts of global power-grid sabotages, affecting some 5,000,000 people, 879 were caused by squirrels; between 0 and 1 were caused by Russia, and another 1 was caused by the USA (Stuxnet). (more…)

Categories: Crunknet

That's a wrap

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:20
The six-second clip-sharing service is shutting down but it's still not clear exactly why.
Categories: MediaTorrent

Istanbul Reina nightclub attack suspect captured

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:20
Abdulkadir Masharipov is the prime suspect in the massacre of 39 people on New Year's Eve.
Categories: MediaTorrent

Portal for the Apple ][+, //e and related systems

BoingBoing - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQUlJLjGl9U

Vince Weaver is reimplementing Portal -- "the cake acquisition simulator released in 2007" -- to the Apple II series of computers, bit by bit -- inspired by the fact that the Apple II hires mode has "the perfect Aperture Science orange and blue colors." He's released a disc image of the game in Apple Basic, as well as sourcecode. (more…)

Categories: Crunknet

World’s Richest 8–All Men–as Wealthy as Half of Humanity: Oxfam

Informed Comment - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:15

TeleSur | – –

The world will have its first trillionaire in only 25 years, the organization found.

Just eight individuals, all men, own as much wealth as half of the world’s population, Oxfam said Sunday night, slamming the rich for fueling global inequality by dodging taxes, driving down wages and using their power to influence politics.

“It is obscene for so much wealth to be held in the hands of so few when one in 10 people survive on less than US$2 a day. Inequality is trapping hundreds of millions in poverty; it is fracturing our societies and undermining democracy,” Winnie Byanyima, executive director of Oxfam International, said in a press release.

“Across the world, people are being left behind. Their wages are stagnating yet corporate bosses take home million dollar bonuses; their health and education services are cut while corporations and the super-rich dodge their taxes; their voices are ignored as governments sing to the tune of big business and a wealthy elite.”

The organization said that its earlier calculation that 62 people had the same wealth as 50 percent of the world’s population was, in fact, incorrect as new data on wealth distribution from China and India had been revealed.

“Had this new data been available last year, it would have shown that nine billionaires owned the same wealth as the poorest half of the planet, and not 62, as Oxfam calculated at the time,” the group claimed.

Using the election of Donald Trump in the U.S. and Brexit in the U.K., the report argues that the unprecedented inequality has been the main driver behind the rise of right-wing politics and the rise of conflicts around the world.

“Between 1988 and 2011 the incomes of the poorest 10 percent increased by just US$65 per person, while the incomes of the richest 1 percent grew by US$11,800 per person — 182 times as much,” Oxfam said.

The report said that in 25 years the world will have its first trillionaire. “To put this figure in perspective — you would need to spend US$1 million every day for 2,738 years to spend US$1 trillion.”

The most affected by inequality are women, the report found, because they are often employed in low-paying jobs and sectors while facing high levels of discrimination at the workplace. “On current trends it will take 170 years for women to be paid the same as men.”

The report found that Bill Gates, the richest man alive with over US$84 billion, has seen his fortune rise by 50 percent or US$25 billion since announcing plans to leave Microsoft in 2006.

But Oxfam believes that his efforts to give his money away in “big philanthropy” gestures does not address the fundamental problem which is that of evading taxes.

“If billionaires choose to give their money away then that is a good thing. But inequality matters and you cannot have a system where billionaires are systematically paying lower rates of tax than their secretary or cleaner,” Max Lawson, Oxfam’s head of policy told Reuters.

The eight individuals named in the report are Gates, Inditex founder Amancio Ortega, veteran investor Warren Buffett, Mexico’s Carlos Slim, Amazon boss Jeff Bezos, Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg, Oracle’s Larry Ellison and former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Via TeleSur

—–

Related video added by Juan Cole:

Newsbeat Social: “Oxfam Report Finds 8 Billionaires Control as Much Wealth as Half the World”

Categories: IraqWire, Leftward Blogs

Carnival stab victim: 'Few cause trouble'

BBC UK Ed. - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:10
A musician stabbed at the Notting Hill Carnival in 2016 told the BBC he did not think the event should change.
Categories: MediaTorrent

Israeli Soldiers Uproot Hundreds Of Olive Trees For Illegal Colonialist Road

Informed Comment - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:05

IMEMC | – –

Israeli soldiers started, on Monday morning, the illegal uprooting of hundreds of olive trees, as part of a plan to uproot hundreds of Palestinian trees to pave a new road for an illegal colony, east of Qalqilia, in the northern part of the occupied West Bank.

The WAFA Palestinian News Agency said the orchards that are being attacked and uprooted by Israel are owned by Palestinians from Nabi Elias, Ezbet at-Tabib and Azzoun town.

It added that the soldiers closed the entire area, after declaring it a closed military zone, and prevented locals, international peace activists and even reporters, from entering it.

Local nonviolent activist Mousa Tabib said the army initiated the uproot and removal of hundreds of olive trees, using a major Israeli construction company.

He added that the attack is just the beginning of the implementation of the Israeli plan to pave a new road that would be used by colonists living in illegal colonies in the district. “Israel is uprooting Roman olive trees that date back thousands of years,” Tabib added, “The Israeli offensive will last for several days and targets more than 3 kilometers of lands.”

The planned 3-kilometer-long colonialist road is planned to be 40-70 meters wide, and will lead to the uprooting of more than 2000 olive trees that were planted at least 500 years ago.

Bayan Tabib, a member of the Revolutionary Council of Fateh movement, told the Maan News Agency that the Israeli attack targets the existence of the Palestinian people on their lands, to build and expand colonies, declared illegal by the International Law and the Fourth Geneva Convention.

Bayan added that the Israeli Supreme Court recently allowed the illegal confiscation of 104 Dunams (25.6 Acres) of Palestinian land, after rejecting appeals filed by the Palestinian owners of these orchards.

“This is an Israeli court that serves and protects the illegal Israeli colonialist occupation of Palestine,” he said, “Israel must be held accountable for its crimes and escalating violations – it will never be able to uproot us from our lands, such violations just make us stronger and more steadfast.”

The planned illegal colonialist road aims at linking many colonies with Israel, while Tel Aviv is claiming the Palestinians “will also be able to use it.”

Via IMEMC

——

Related video added by Juan Cole:

TeleSur: “Palestine’s Olive Tree: A Symbol of Resistance”

Categories: IraqWire, Leftward Blogs

Capri Theater

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:04

Rick & Bart posted a photo:

2027 W Broadway Ave, Minneapolis

Prince made his debut as a solo performer at this venue in January 1979 : 9 months after the release of his debut album “For You”, and 9 months before the release of “Prince”.
He did 2 concerts at the Capri (one of them for Warner Bros. executives) and was joined on stage by André Cymone on bass, Bobby Z. on drums, Matt Fink on keyboards, Dez Dickerson on guitar and Gayle Chapman on keyboards.

Categories: Minnesnota

Moonsound

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:04

Rick & Bart posted a photo:

5708 Stevens Ave South

In the Summer of 1976, Prince worked at Chris Moon’s studio. He learned the basics of working in a recording studio and gained valuable experience in multi-track recording as he layered instrument upon instrument by himself.

Categories: Minnesnota

Orfield Laboratories Inc.

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:04

Rick & Bart posted a photo:

2709 East 25th Street

After signing a management contract with Owen Husney, Prince and David Rivkin spent the entire winter of 1976-77 at Sound 80. They re-recorded some of the songs Prince had demoed at Moonsound, and they taped some new material here as well.
Prince also guested on sessions with Pepé Willie’s band 94 East and with The Lewis Connection, featuring Sonny Thompson. The 94 East tracks “10:15” and “Fortune Teller” were intended for a Polydor single in 1977 but were eventually released via Pepé’s website in 2002. The 1979 Lewis Connection album (which featured Prince on the track “Got To Be Something Here”) was re-released on LP & CD in 2013.

The recording studio still exists elsewhere in Minneapolis, but this building now houses Orfield Labs, “the quietest place on Earth” (according to Guinness World Records).

Categories: Minnesnota

MPLS

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:04

Rick & Bart posted a photo:

Categories: Minnesnota

Central Park

Minnesota Flickr - Tue, 2017-01-17 00:04

Rick & Bart posted a photo:

This used to be the location of the Minneapolis Central High School. (the building was closed in 1982 and subsequently demolished)

Together with Duane Nelson, Prince played on the junior varsity basketball team here.
He graduated from Central High on his 18th birthday (June 7, 1976).

Categories: Minnesnota
Syndicate content